YING TZE BLOG

YING TZE BLOG

Monday, January 6, 2014

Cosplay Tutorial | Beading on Felt


Hello Everyone !

I'm getting quite a lot of costume making tips / tutorials lately from my readers and also on my page. Costume making is not really that difficult once you understand the right techniques. It's just like Mathematics for me. I don't like maths but once you learnt the formula on how to solve it , it actually gets easier. 

I still don't like Maths but I love Costume Making okay ? lol  (ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧


doa5__ayane_butterfly_dress_photomode_by_tengudo-d61kyna


Today I will be sharing about technique that I learnt recently , which is to do " Beading on Felt ". 

Currently I'm working on a new costume , Ayane's  ( Dead or Alive ) iconic Butterfly Default costume. The costume is quite simple design wise so I put lots of thoughts in the smaller details like the obi/bow and also the butterfly design in front. 

At first I wanted to paint on it using fabric dye or acrylic but I don't want to accidentally ruin my dress just in case my painting fails . So I've decided to make the butterfly pattern out of felt + beadings.

It's a simple technique and inexpensive , all you need is a little bit of patience !


What Do You Need ?

1# Felt  ( You can get good quality ones from Daiso )
2# Beads
3# Gems
4# Matching Thread and Needle


IMG_6927



First I drew the pattern on a piece of white paper ( roughly based on the design ) and cut it out. 

TIP = You can try pining the paper pattern on the dress to double check whether the size is proportionate or not.



IMG_6823


Then , you can place the paper pattern on the felt and trace it out. I used an Artline Pen to lightly make my markings. 

Cut it out using scissors.


IMG_6827


You can start beading !

Any kind of beads will do , depending on you budget and preference. I chose gems + these cockcroach eggs like beads because it's bigger and it will look more obvious in pictures. lol

A mixture of different types of beads would look nice too ~ ヾ(。◕ฺ∀◕ฺ)ノ



IMG_6833


You can do beading while watching anime / tv shows. I did mine while watching Log Horizon and it took me bout 2-3 hours to finish beading Ayane's Butterfly. It's really simple and quick !



IMG_6866


This is roughly my end product ! O(≧▽≦)O

For me , I always pin it on my dress / mannequin and try looking at it from afar. This way you can visualize the costume as a whole better.



IMG_6926


Here I think that the butterfly is a bit too plain so I added some gold colored glass beads to complement the obi color. Might add more beading to it soon ~ 

Of course there are many other ways to make the butterfly pattern but I chose beading on felt because this way I feel that the butterfly would stand out more. Plus it's a little bit of 3D , not totally flat , much more interesting , no ? 

Hopefully this quick tutorial is useful for you ! 

Any questions can drop by in my comment box below. ヽ(=^・ω・^=)丿

With Love ,

YingTze


TWITTER | ying_tze 
INSTAGRAM | yingtze
BLOG | http://ying-tze.blogspot.com/
TOKYO OTAKU MODE | http://otakumode.com/yingtze
DEVIANTART | http://yingtze.deviantart.com/